Since our childhood we have come across several questions like “What you want to become in your life?” or “what are your career ambitions/goals ?” and probably you have given answers describing your wish of becoming a police officer, a pilot, teacher, doctor, scientist and what not. But as you have grown up now (Because you have taken this decision to figure out your career and started to think about it seriously!) I would like to ask you the same question once again:-
“What you want to become in your life?”
Most of you have probably given the answers that are totally different from what you used to give during your childhood, Right! In fact, it is totally conventional and the reason lies in the golden words “Experience” and “Observation”. When we were budding, we learned about various streams, what trend is going on or some of you might have found your interest and passion resulting in ingraining experience through observations. However, there are so many captivating things to do and that makes it hard to make a decision on what to follow and what not to. To funnel down a whole lot of confusion I hope this piece will help you to resolve your issue. So let’s dive into it.
Imagine yourself walking (not running) on a track having a start point and an endpoint consisting of several checkpoints in between. That track can be called a “career” which is actually a path that you cover notice, that’s the reason I said not to run but to walk! There are several checkpoints that connect that track and those can be called “a job/work” that you have to do and they connect your path of career. You may be thinking but where we are walking to? So the answer is obviously the destination which can be called as the “growth”.
From this small visualization, I hope you are now clear with some important terms of life. From the above discussion it would be clear that we have to first identify the track (career) then checkpoints (job/work) which in turn will move you to the destination (Growth), Simple!
To decide which track to follow here are some tips that will surely help you:-
- Do self-assessment:- Before starting the journey you have to know about your strengths and weaknesses. Though it changes with time due to continuous learning and experience but for the start, you have to make an origin point. Use self-assessment tools, ask your friends what they think about you, ask your siblings and parents about your strengths and weaknesses, and note everything. Then ask yourself what you think about yourself and jot down the common points to determine what are your likings, strengths, weakness, etc.
- Research about domains: – Until you don’t know what are the different domains how you will decide where to go? So use Google, YouTube, LinkedIn, and various platforms to dig out information about domains that is various career fields.
- Discover subdomains: – After you have decided which domain to follow depending on your research, it’s time to dive deep. Find the various subdomains and start exploring more about it. Try to find as many subdomains you can as it will also improve your knowledge.
- Be Agile: – Agile means flexible and you have to surely become flexible by your mind. Don’t stick to a single domain or subdomain, at least have 3-4 domains and subdomains ready in the back of your mind. It will help you to find the best of your top list.
- Focus on what suits you not on what is easy for you: – We always fall in the trap of choosing and following easy things instead of what suits us. So don’t focus on what’s easy, instead, focus on what suits you and what is made for you (use that researched data about yourself).
- Don’t try to mimic someone: – It is good to have someone as an ideal but mimicking them will not give you success. Remember they have worked hard to be someone’s ideal hence focus on work, not on results such as fame, money, or self-freedom!
- Avoid falling in traps of saying: – We have heard about saying such as “work for yourself or someone else will hire you to work “you don’t need to follow everything that motivates you. If you are already working for it or have a keen interest then the story is different but don’t hurry remember that’s why I said it “Walk on track not run “!
- Keep updating yourself: – This is the demand of the recent growing time. I am saying this because sometimes we don’t take something due to not having any experience and knowledge but after some learnings, they turn out to be totally worthy hence enhance your knowledge every day, learn something new, have an open mind and most importantly have people around that can grow you.
- Do not fear wrong decisions: – We usually think a lot about our decisions and fall in the trap of overthinking so beware. You can anytime change your track and even you can anytime change your checkpoints that’s why be agile and don’t fear.
- Take elder guidance: – Yes, this is the most important step in all, we can have analysis, we can have knowledge but what they have is an experience that they have earned in years. Take guidance, tell them your plans have a fruitful discussion, and figure out your path based on it.
Always remember this track is not made for a race, this track is made to walk, walk to reach the checkpoints, and walk to reach closer to the destination that is growth. The above top 10 tips will surely help you to make a career by breaking the inertia of your wonderful journey. I would like to congratulate you for taking this wonderful step towards your own self.
Life is always pictured as a journey and it is true hence always remember this journey is made to be enjoyed through walking and learning with whatever comes to your way with positivity.
All the best!